Friday, November 07, 2008

Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler: a film I eagerly await

Two articles, here and here, about Darren Aronofsky's upcoming The Wrestler, about an aging low-level wrestler striving to pay the bills. It definitely sounds like it has potential. I walked out of The Fountain, and wasn't even a fan of his previous film, the well-liked Requiem for a Dream, despite admiring Hubert Selby, Jr.; the excesses of both films bothered me immensely, with The Fountain seeming a ridiculous act of excess - "give him enough of a budget and he'll hang himself." The idea of Aronofsky yoking himself to a small-scale, human story seems well past-due, a good instinct from someone I was getting ready to write off. And what can I say, I used to really like Mickey Rourke - plus what's this about a 1980's hair-metal soundtrack? What?

Speaking of hair-metal, is anyone else kind of curious about this Anvil thing at the Cinematheque on the 13th?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm in Vancouver and I wanna see this movie... any idea where or how?