Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Wild Dead Kennedys news

Photo by Crystal Walts, as lifted off Facebook...

Apologies to Jello Biafra, but this is turning into a show people kind of need to see, BECAUSE (apparently) the ringer singer his former bandmates brought with'em ISN'T APPEARING - he forgot his passport and is stuck on the other side of the border! - and Willy Jak of the Dayglo Abortions is (apparently) filling in, which suddenly sounds... really fuckin' appealing, actually. Thanks to Kristina Mameli for posting this on Facebook! My suburban condition makes my attendance unlikely but goddamn if I'm not a LOT more curious than I was...

EDIT: actually, this suggests a new way that the Dead Kennedys could reconfigure their act: just ditch the ringer singer and tour around allowing members of the audience and local punks of note to play Jello. They could even pitch it as a reality TV show! Heh.

EDIT #2: Ah, man, I wish I could go to this now, but suddenly I wonder if it's not some weird hoax/ prank? My source is just a photo viewed online - Chris Walter tells me he thought the whole band got in. It'd be funny if it's a scam to up ticket sales, but I'd MUCH rather see Willy Jak sing DK's songs than Skip... Hope he's having fun memorizing those lyrics... as many times as I've heard these songs, I don't envy him the prospect!

Let's see how much I remember of "Holiday in Cambodia." Off the top of my head:

So you've been to school for a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car thinkin' you'll go far
Back east your type don't crawl
Play ethnicky jazz
To parade your snazz
On your five grand stereo
Braggin' that you know
How the niggers feel cold
And the slums got so much soul
It's time to taste what you most fear
Right Guard will not help you here
Brace yourself my dear
Brace yourself my dear...

It's a holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll do what you're told
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Where the slums got so much soul...

(NOTE: I got that wrong - that's a later chorus! Three choruses, all unique - this is the "pack a wife" one. Yikes!).

You're a star-bellied Sneech (NOTE: is this really the only punk rock reference to a Dr. Seuss book?)
You suck like a leech
Want everyone to act like you
Kiss ass while you bitch
So you can get rich
But your boss gets richer
Off you
(NOTE: completely forgot this line!)
For a bowl of rice a day
Slave for soldiers til you starve
And your head is skewered on a stake
It's time to go where people are one (NOTE: not quite)
It's time to go where they get things done
Brace yourself, my son... (NOTE: nope! "What you need my son"...)

(Chorus - NOTE: forgot the specifics)

Pol Pot... Pol Pot

...of course, I've now seen Jello sing this live three times now (with the DKs in 84 or 85, with the Melvins, and with the GSM, so that kinda helps). The original single version here. Good luck, Willy!

So it's Halloween
And you feel like shining
And you feel like dancin'
And you feel like lettin' loose
Well whatcha gonna be?
Babe you better know
And you better plan
Better plan all day
Better plan all week
Better plan all month
Better plan all year...

You're dressed up like a clown
Puttin' on your act
It's the only time all year you'll ever admit that..

(Uh...).

Song here!

1 comment:

Allan MacInnis said...

Apparently only the Victoria show had Willy on vocals - Skip got his passport issues sorted for Vancouver. Apparently some of his between-song banter was very, very lame - asking the audience if anyone else was a huge professional sport fan like him. WTF???!!